Wednesday, May 2, 2012

This is a moment I've been thinking about a lot today as my thesis has been overwhelming me and pushing me toward a very public mental breakdown. In fact, all year D has been serving as a calming and encouraging voice in my head, and this is the moment I return to on a regular basis. I'm not sure if writing this post almost a year and a half ago helped solidify this moment in my memory or if it would have been emblazoned regardless. Either way, I'm glad to have it down in such a physical form. Whatever vibes D was sending me that day seem to still radiate from this little piece.
He strolls past the office door looking like he's on a mission. But he catches my eye as I'm coming out and takes a couple steps back. 
"ENCOURAGEMENT," he says, waving his hands in the air between us as if they are the conduit for positive thoughts and reassurance. 
"I haven't even started," I say, gesturing with my head toward the stack of textbooks in my arms. My voice is tinged with half-crazed laughter. Laughter that teeters on the edge of tears and is born of stress. 
"That's okay," he replies. "ENCOURAGEMENT." Once again, waving his hands. 
He looks a bit foolish, but he makes me smile, and it's the first genuine smile I've given in days. And I actually do feel encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment